Roosevelt’s Blues: African-American Blues and Gospel Songs on FDR
In Roosevelt’s Blues Guido van Rijn documents more than a hundred blues and gospel lyrics that contain direct political comment about FDR. Altogether, they convey the thought, spirit, and history of the African-American population during the Roosevelt era. Included in the book are recorded sermons by Rev. J.M. Gates and lyrics to songs recorded by such notable musicians as Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonzy, “Champion” Jack Dupree, Sonny Boy Williamson, Josh White, the Mississippi Sheiks, and many others. Using these sources, which have been neglected by historians, van Rijn documents Roosevelt’s vast popularity among blacks.
- Format: Paperback
- Publication Date: February 1997
- Price: 25 Euros
- Publisher: University Press of Mississippi
- Series: American Made Music Series
Twenty-four of the songs discussed in the text are available on a CD produced by Agram Blues (ABCD 2017) to accompany this book. Digitally remastered and featuring full liner notes by the author, the CD is a unique historical document of the Roosevelt presidency.
Price: 10 Euros.
AFRICAN-AMERICAN BLUES AND GOSPEL SONGS ON FD
- Walter Roland – Red Cross Blues
- Jack Kelly – President Blues (President Roosevelt Blues)
- Joe Pullum – CWA Blues
- Mississippi Sheiks – I Can’t Go Wrong
- Rev. J.M. Gates – No Bread Line In Heaven
- Annie Brewer – Roosevelt Blues
- Will ‘Casey Bill’ Weldon – Casey Bill’s New W.P.A.
- Memphis Minnie – Sylvester And His Mule Blues
- Rev. J.M. Gates – President Roosevelt Is Everybody’s Friend
- Jimmie Gordon – Don’t Take Away My P.W.A.
- Mississippi Sheiks – Sales Taks
- Rev. R.H. Taylor – The Bonus Have Found the Stingy Mens Out
- Huddie ‘Leadbelly’ Ledbetter – The Scottsboro Boys’
- Huddie ‘Leadbelly’ Ledbetter – Dear Mr. President & President Roosevelt
- Peter J. ‘Doctor’ Clayton – Pearl Harbor Blues
- Lucius ‘Lucky’ Millinder – We’re Gonna Have To Slap the Dirty Little Jap
- Buster ‘Buz’ Ezell – Soldier Boy Blues
- Peter J. ‘Doctor’ Clayton – ’41 Blues
- Unidentified Man – Hitler Toast
- Louis Jordan – You Can’t Get That No More
- James ‘Jack of All Trades’ McCain – Good Mr. Roosevelt
- ‘Big’ Joe Williams – His Spirit Lives On
- Otis Jackson – Tell Me Why You Like Roosevelt – Part 1
- Otis Jackson – Tell Me Why You Like Roosevelt – Part 2